Monday, January 10, 2011

Carious: My favorite cookies - chocolate chocolate chip cookies




People who know me know my list of loves really well, because I always go hysterical whenever the conversation topic is about them. So it goes - chocolate, durian, grilled mushroom with olive oil and salt.

Oh wait, chocolate, durian, agnes b, grilled mushroom..

No wait, chocolate, durian, telekinesis, agnes b, mushroom...

You get my point.

Any recipe that has more than one "chocolate" is bound to find its way into my list of go-to recipes.



Chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Yum. These cookies are so decadent and so delectable. It takes me great restraint to stop at 1 but I always end up breaking up other cookies into halves or thirds.. =X

I can't describe how divine these cookies are adequately. Soft, chewy, moist, sweet, and with a tinge of salt that tingles the tongue. And all these are just the tip of the ice berg. The whole cookie is just pure magic.

The whole photography session took close to 15minutes because I was, well, you know.....

So apparently there are strict ways in chocolate handling because they are extremely fickle and need a lot of tender loving care. Here are some stuff I've uncovered while combing google!

From here

- Take your time. Dark chocolate can withstand high temperature than milk or white chocolate, but it’s always best to heat chocolate gently.
- Chopping chocolate before melting means the heat will be evenly distributed, and the chocolate will melt quickly with little fuss.
- Be very careful liquid away from melting chocolate. Chocolate is composed of solids suspended in cocoa butter. Melting the chocolate transforms the cocoa butter into liquid, and the solid particles glide easily through this cocoa butter base. But just a few drops of water, or any liquid, will be absorbed by the solids and cause them to cling to each other. When this happens, the chocolate seizes, or becomes stiff and difficult to stir. Once chocolate has seized, your only option is to add more liquid and make Chocolate sauce.

This website is pretty good too!



Original recipe from Martha Stewart! =)

Once again, halved the recipe to yield 10 large cookies. But I made it twice that night cause it was just that awesome.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
125g good-quality milk chocolate, 65g coarsely chopped and 60g cut into 1/4-inch chunks(I just sub it with a hell lot of white chocolate chips.)
1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter
3/4 cups sugar (I reduced it to 1/2 cup)
1 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



Preheat the oven to 170deg C! Melt the chocolate and butter. I did it over a double boiler (read This website)



Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder.



Beat the egg, vanilla and sugar together until incorporated.



Then pour the melted chocolate-butter mixture with the egg-sugar-vanilla mixture and chuck them all into the flour mixture. Stir them up!



Then mix in an insane amount of chocolate chips. I threw in at least 1/2 cup of them..



Customary finger test! Now I gotta warn you though. My finger test turned into a spooning session and I think I lost at least 2 cookies here... It was that darn good.

Leave about 2cm space around each plonk of dough because the cookies will rise and puff a little. Bake em for 15 minutes.




Pressure points and top tips! (from trial and error) =D


1) Ok there is nothing to share about these cookies actually. Its so straightforward. Just watch out for the melting chocolate part as indicated by the websites I shared above.

2) Share them of course. Mindblowing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers