Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pilot: crepe with smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, sage and basil.



Hurrah! It's my long awaited summer vacation! *throws confetti* It has been a grueling 2nd semester in Dental school and I'm only Year 1! I see a bleak 4 years ahead of me.. But oh well, tough times don't last!

Nonetheless, it's a perfect excuse to start a food blog aye.
I need to destress.
AHHH foood!
*walks to the fridge*


Alright lets get this baby going! =D




Made this zomgyums crepe today because my friend gave me a couple of pots of sage and basil and since I'm flying back to Singapore tomorrow, I needed an excuse to use these little babies. Something about basil and sage just sings. Really. The crepes themselves are fantastic too. Delicate, tender but holds well. The perfect canvas for experimental people like me to mess about. Fortunately, I got a forgiving housemate.

Trivia!
Crepes were conceived in France and gained widespread popularity. It's use is extremely diverse, in sweet foods and savory foods alike. It could also be used to make cakes (Mille Crepe - thousand layer crepe) or mixed with flavorings and infusions to make flavored crepes. And interestingly, In Galicia (Spain), it's made from pigs' blood instead of milk!
From Wikipedia of course. =)

Basic Crepes Recipe from here



Since it's for 2, I shrunk the recipe. The recipe is pretty easy to remember too. Ratio of 1 flour to 1 cup water/milk to 2 eggs and 2 tablespoon of butter.

1/2 cup of plain flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon of butter (15grams)
1/8 teaspoon of salt




Mix the egg and milk/water mixture and stir!




Here's a tip for producing a smooth batter without lumps and bumps. Sift in the flour slowly while stirring rapidly. This dissolves the flour rapidly and avoids the agglutination of flour. Some recipes dictates pouring the wet ingredients into the mound of flour. If it agglutinates, just sieve the mixture and you'll get a smooth batter! But aye, I'm lazyreluctant to wash clumps of batter off my sieve.

You get 3/4 cup of batter! Just enough for 2 persons with a 20cm thin crepe. Perfecto.



Add in the 1 tablespoon of butter and stir! Ok honestly this is probably 1 out of 6213476123 times that I use butter. Gahh. My heart wept when I poured that 15g in. Alternatively, you could substitute a tablespoon of olive oil. Fragrant, healthy, and more importantly, less guilt.



Now just heat up the pan to medium-high and fry it up! We want them to look nicely brown on both sides. =D



If smoked salmon were any cheaper, I think I might just swap rice with it. Oh. SO yum. Perfect with cream cheese, sage, basil and onion..



Same crepe recipe but this time, I put mushrooms, ham, onions, cheese and egg. Oh gosh mushroom, ham and cheese should be sold together. Like Mushameese. Or Cusham. Maheese. Blah.


Pressure points and top tips! (from trial and error) =D
1) Lumpy batter! Don't settle for lumpy batter. Looks bad, tastes bad, is bad. Whisk in the flour while stirring or sieving the batter would solve the problem

2) Make sure the pan is sufficiently hot. Once the batter is poured in, swirl the pan to spread it thinly. The heat will help in the spreading of the batter as a thin layer would be cooked first. Or if you're lazy like meunwilling to swirl the pan, spread it with a spatula by gentle dragging. Remember that they are delicate and would break easily.

3) Who am I kidding, it's just crepes! Easy peasy stuff. =)

1 comment:

  1. A pretty successful first blog post wheeeee! love the masterchef-style "pressure points" at the end too :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Followers